Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!

In keeping with our holiday tradition, we got up early, Rich headed for work at the ski area before the sun was up, and I fed horses and made my special breakfast. After 15 years of hauling breakfast up the mountain, I have gotten pretty good at it, honing my timing and packaging so that I arrive at Rich's office, 15 miles away at 10,800 feet of altitude with the eggs and sweet rolls still steaming hot. Yum.
Maybe you're wondering what my special breakfast is? It is particularly delectable and surprisingly easy to make. And so stock full of calories that you are prohibited from eating it more than once a year. My special Christmas breakfast consists of three dishes: fruit salad, egg and ham cups and gooey sweet rolls. Recipes follow-- maybe you should make it for New Years Day!
Fruit salad: sectioned pink grapefruit (buy it in the jars to save a lot of hassle), sliced bananas and as many fresh berries as you can buy this time of year, preferably strawberries, blue berries and raspberries. I sprinkle on some Splenda or sugar to sweeten just a little.
Egg and ham cups: start with Honey Baked ham and line greased muffin cups with the ham. Then crack an egg in each hole, add a dab of butter and pepper and bake at 400* for about 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your desired hardness or softness.
Gooey sweet rolls: mix a stick of softened butter with about a cup of brown sugar and a touch of cinnamon. Open a package of refridgerator crescent rolls and knit all the seams of the dough together so you have one solid rectangle of dough. Spread butter/brown sugar mixture evenly over dough and roll it up from one end. Slice off about a 1" roll and place in a pan (fairly close together) and bake at 400* for about the same time as the egg and ham cups-- until golden brown. Remove from pan with a spatula so you get all the goo.
This traditional breakfast harkens back to my childhood and the big extended-family xmas breakfasts we had every year. It is a great meal for groups small and large and easy to serve. Normally I enjoy it with mimosas but having to drive up the pass to the ski area means I take my OJ straight up.
I would be less-than-honest if I said it was a beautiful day for skiing. It's below zero with a huge wind chill and blowing snow. I may opt out of skiing and head back home for some cozy time. Later today, Rich and I will go visit my son and take gifts and food and be thankful that we are all together this Christmas.
I hope you have some peace and quiet and happy times with friends and family this holiday season.
Enjoy the ride,
Julie